Canada's chicken industry
... at a glance
- In 2016, Canada produced chicken products worth $2.5 billion, contributing 4.1% of cash receipts to farming operations.
- In 2016, there were 2,817 regulated chickenproducers in Canada. In addition to the nearly 4,650 commercial poultry and egg producers in Canada, there are a large number of businesses associated with these production activities.
- In 2016, Canada produced 1.2 billion kilograms of chicken (eviscerated weight), 61% of which was produced in Quebec and Ontario. Domestic consumption of chicken in 2016 was 32.5 kilograms per person.
- That same year, the average chicken farm produced 556,641 kilograms of chicken meat (live weight).
- In 2016, retail chicken purchases accounted for approximately 698 million kilograms representing 59% of Canada's total chicken consumption. Fast food services consumed 280 million kilograms (24%), full service restaurants consumed 135 million kilograms (12%), and hotels and institutions consumed 64 million kilograms (5%).
- In 2016, Canada exported over 5.3 million chicks worth over $13.4 million to 8 countries. The United States was the largest market (98% in head count). Other countries included Russia, Japan and France.
- That same year, 134.1 million kilograms of chicken meat and edible bi-products (fresh, chilled, frozen), worth $453.1 million, was exported to 60 countries, with the largest importers being the United States, Philippines, Taiwan and Hong Kong. Other countries included Haiti, Cuba, South Africa and Jamaica.
- Industry Indicators
- Imports and Exports
- Inter-provincial Movements
- Storage Stocks
Canadian federally registered plants and stations
- Codes of Practice for the care and handling of farm animals - Chickens, Turkeys and Breeders from Hatchery to Processing Plant
- Codes of Practice for the care and handling of farm animals - Poultry - Layers
- Managing a Small Poultry Flock
- Raising Chicken and Turkey Broilers in Canada
If you have any questions or require additional information, please send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org
Our service standards
Service standards play a vital role in our market information program’s commitment to planning, reporting and performance management. They clearly define the level of service that clients can expect under normal circumstances.
- Date modified: