National Collection of Vascular Plants (DAO)
Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada (AAFC) maintains a National Collection of Vascular Plants, internationally known by the acronym DAO (for Department of Agriculture, Ottawa). This is a premier collection of dried vascular plants. Located on AAFC's Central Experimental Farm, it is the largest collection of its kind in Canada. Properly called a herbarium, it includes 1.5 million irreplaceable specimens protected in a climate-controlled environment. When adequately protected from moisture and pests, dried specimens can last for hundreds of years in the herbarium. This is a tremendous resource that allows identification of plants from anywhere in Canada and supports research on plant classification worldwide.
The collection also provides information for developing new crops and for ecological studies. It is the basis for responding to over 5,000 requests for information each year and services 200 visitors annually, including students from Canadian universities and government biologists. Over 5,000 specimens are loaned each year to research centres around the world as part of a cooperative international network. As a result, AAFC scientists are able to borrow material from other countries for research aimed at improving Canadian crops and increasing the security of Canada's borders and Canadian biodiversity.
Table of contents
- About the National Collection of Vascular Plants
- The Importance of the National Collection of Vascular Plants
- How the National Collection of Vascular Plants is Organized
- How the Collection of Vascular Plants is Used
- Examples of the Use of the Collection
- History of the National Collection of Vascular Plants
- Catalogue of Type Specimens
- The National Vascular Plant Identification Service
- Specimen Exchange Program
- Collection Databases
- Collecting Specimens
- References for Identification
- Depositing a Cultivar Voucher
- Requesting a Loan of a Vascular Plant Specimen
- Requesting a Reprint of a Journal Article
- Guidelines for Visitors to the DAO Herbarium
For more information about the Vascular Plant Herbarium, please contact the National Collection of Vascular Plants – DAO at herbier-DAOemail@example.com .
- Date modified: